Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Happy 117th Birthday Martha Graham

If you’ve been to google today, you’ll notice that it’s logo is different today (quite good actually). Today is the 117 birthday of Martha Graham, a well known dancer.

I never heard that name before today, nor knew her story. I went to Wikipedia to read about it and I found it to be very interesting. The bellow is something she once said to a friend. I thought it was powerful enough for me to share.

"It wasn't until years after I had relinquished a ballet that I could bear to watch someone else dance it. I believe in never looking back, never indulging in nostalgia, or reminiscing. Yet how can you avoid it when you look on stage and see a dancer made up to look as you did thirty years ago, dancing a ballet you created with someone you were then deeply in love with, your husband? I think that is a circle of hell Dante omitted.

[When I stopped dancing] I had lost my will to live. I stayed home alone, ate very little, and drank too much and brooded. My face was ruined, and people say I looked odd, which I agreed with. Finally my system just gave in. I was in the hospital for a long time, much of it in a coma.” - Martha Graham

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top