Thursday, October 7, 2010

Recession Is Over?

Before you send me hate mail saying otherwise, note that I said it was over not that it was like it used to be. Based on this article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/20/AR2010092006355.html) found at the Washington post website, the recession ended in June of 2009.

The committee, that determined the recession was over, also said:
"In determining that a trough occurred in June 2009, the committee did not conclude that economic conditions since that month have been favorable or that the economy has returned to operating at normal capacity, any future downturn of the economy would be a new recession and not a continuation of the recession that began in December 2007."

To me, this is neither a good or a bad news. I don’t feel like it’s over at all and I won’t feel like it is until companies stops giving the excuse that it’s because of the recession that they had to lay off some people recently.

If the economy is getting better, from what I’ve seen of companies I worked for, they still didn’t give any raises nor bonuses to people who deserve it and they still give the excuse that it’s due to the recession.
I have a feeling that we’ll be a while without seeing any of those, not because of companies getting back up after the recession, why would they pay someone more if he’s willing to work for less?

Back to Top